Re: freight cars being scrapped in 1947

Charles Peck

Yes, I agree that I would roll cars over onto their side if I had an interest in salvaging useful material, trucks and such.
Perhaps that was not the case in what I saw as I remember seeing a door fall off the car.  It made a big splash of embers
that really stood out in this boy's memory.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Charles,

In most cases, I believe that wooden cars were rolled to the side, off the track, before burning. This allowed the trucks, wheels, brakes etc.,, to be salvaged first and without damage from the flames and would have also spared the cross-ties.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL