From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 1:55 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Procter & Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive

Andy Carlson wrote:

Though Palmolive may have been named for Palm oil and Olive oil combos, it was never a Procter and Gamble product. Back in nthe 1920s, the Palmolive corporation was founded. Later merged with the colgate company. Not associated at all with P&G.

       Palmolive originally was a product of the B.J. Johnson Company, and their primary product, a very popular soap, was given the Palmolive name for its ingredients, back in 1898. In 1928, Palmolive, already merged with Peets Brothers to form Palmolive-Peets, PUIRCHASED Colgate to form Colgate-Palmolive-Peet. The "Peet" was dropped in 1953, and today the company is still named Colgate-Palmolive.

       Certainly it's true that this is a separate topic from Procter & Gamble, who was the main competitor of Colgate-Palmolive and in fact usually outsold them in the soap business.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...

Publishers of books on railroad history