Re: Proctor & Gamble Tank Cars

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

P&G also has a large plant near Sacramento which used to produce "synthetic granules", meaning powdered laundry detergent such as Tide. I had the chance to tour the factory in my boyhood (factory tours are largely a thing of the past!). The Sacramento facility produced or used a lot of glycerine, which I learned had a potential wartime role in making explosives. The facility was switched by the Central California Traction Co. and the SP. Today that would be the UP.

Getting off topic a bit, but the Los Angeles Soap Company had a plant which made a brand called White King D, the first granulated detergent. They sponsored "Queen for a Day" on radio and TV for years. The company went out of business in 1987. When I drove a truck in LA after college I used to go past the plant, and though I carried a camera I never took a photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/22/19 6:06 PM, G.J. Irwin wrote:
Actually, Palmolive Soap was a product of the Colgate-Palmolive Company, a key P&G rival.   One of the well-known C-P plants was walking distance from my boyhood home in Jersey City, New Jersey... served by classic street trackage south of the PRR's Exchange Place station.  I have a couple of photos of tank cars parked at the plant.

The best known soap made by P&G was Ivory.

We now return you to your regular programming, already in progress...

George Irwin