Re: freight cars being scrapped in 1947

tyesac@aol.com

John.  

Looks like you've got it!   The other cars that are interesting are those having ends made from Murphy gondola ends mounted vertically.

Tom Casey

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 23, 2019 6:51 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] freight cars being scrapped in 1947

Tom,

I agree that this was likely not a reefer, but its also likely not a(n) (un)rebuilt furniture car.  

It has a faded A.T.S.F. MoW number that I read as 196825, it also has a partial faded number below the work series number that I read as 382.
The three vertically joined end panels, lack of brake step, vertical brake shaft, grab iron end ladder, and single panel on the side are all consistent with the as built configuration of the Bx-Z.  The dark (black?) lettering on a light (grey?) carbody are also indicative of non-revenue service.  The style of the ATSF with periods but no ampersand date the re-paint/re-stencil to 1938-1943.

I would say that it was likely that the car was retired from MoW service and scrapped as A.T.S.F. Wx-Z 196825.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Friday, February 22, 2019, 8:25:48 PM EST, tyesac@... via Groups.Io <tyesac@...> wrote:

Bill,

The two SFRD Rr-19's with flat plate steel ends were made with two steel sheets and joined with a single horizontal seam.  Also, those had AJAX hand brakes and the end reporting marks would be "SFRD" instead of  "AT&SF".   The twisted visible roof framing, the "Y" looking parts, imply this could be an older Fe- class car that hand been rebuilt.

Tom Casey
Bill Vaughn via Groups.Io (atsfmodlr@...)To:you (Bcc) + 1 more Details
Bill Vaughn via Groups.Io atsfmodlr@...Hide
To main main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Cc
Bcc
Slideshow
Tim I don't think so the 1947 picture shows a ladder where your picture shows grab irons.  Also I believe both Rr-19 with flat ends lasted more that 11 years from rebuilding.

Bill Vaughn

On Friday, February 22, 2019, 3:38:33 PM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

an Rr-19 perhaps?

On 2/22/2019 5:33 PM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
> Would anyone have a guess what this car was? The other cars are Pere
> Marquette USRA ds box derivatives, but this one is Santa Fe?
>

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] freight cars being scrapped in 1947

Tim I don't think so the 1947 picture shows a ladder where your picture shows grab irons.  Also I believe both Rr-19 with flat ends lasted more that 11 years from rebuilding.

Bill Vaughn

On Friday, February 22, 2019, 3:38:33 PM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

an Rr-19 perhaps?

On 2/22/2019 5:33 PM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
> Would anyone have a guess what this car was? The other cars are Pere
> Marquette USRA ds box derivatives, but this one is Santa Fe?
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/photos/a.1995435020702484/1995435100702476/?type=3&theater
>
>
> David Thompson

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.