Re: Throwback Tuesday: MDC 50 ft SS Automobile Boxcars

Bill Welch

It has been a long time since I built my MP and WP models which was soon after the articles appeared in both MM and RMJ and then several years later I built my T&P and Frisco models w/the MDC kits so I am going from memory but the reason I decided to those four roads versions was dictated by the Radial roof on the MDC model. Several other 50-foot SS cars were discussed in the articles but the roof and bracing arrangement on the MDC kit is only correct for MP, WP, SL-SF and T&P. The Frisco model required replacing with "B" end w/a different Dreadnaught end that was kindly furnished by Rocket Express while T&P model required replacing the modeled on Single 8-foot Youngstown door with scratch built Superior doors. These two models are cover in Vol 3 of Speedwitch's Modeling Journal.

Hopefully I am remembering correctly.

Bill Welch