D&H Seley hoppers

Donald B. Valentine

Hello folks,

    Some help is needed with Delaware & Hudson Seley hopper cars. I hacve three of the O&W Car Shops D&H Seley
hoppers all painted and ready to decal with the decals on hand as well. My 1938 and 1947 ORER's indicate that all of
these cars belonged to one of two groups, the 1001 - 1151 group or the 1152 - 2250 group. BUT, in looking for a photo
to serve as a lettering guide the only one found was on pages #410-#411 or Jim Shaughnessy's D&H book and therein
lies the problem. The photo shows on;ly the right half or a car side. With a D&H Challenger pushing the train with this
car up the northboud grade to Arrarat Summit it is clearly the era I model but the car number has five digits rather than
only four with a number that appears to be #10010! Unfortunately I cannot find any such number group for D&H cars of
any tyep in the ORER's I have here. My next ORER is from Jan. 1962 at which time the same two car niber groups are
in use for hopper cars but they are now stated to be of steel rather than only having a steel underframe. I am not
knowledgeable enough about the D&H to know if the Seley cars were rebuilt with stell and kept the same numbers,
which I very much doubt, or whether new cars were purchased and given the same number groups as the Seley cars,
which I also doubt. So how does one account for a number in a #10000 series?

    These cars were also found at one time with two, three and four hopper bays. Could one style be gone by the post war
period and the remaining cars assigned to one number gfroup or the other depending upon thre number of hopper bays it
had? I have no clue from what has been found to date. Thius any helpo with these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Don Valentine