to UP fans: -B-50-25 Express Box - converting "back" to normal box car?

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

I still need more 40' box cars, and I consider purchasing this one:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/098956/HO-Brass-Model-OMI-1338-UP-Union-Pacific-B-50-25-Express-Boxcar-24152-Unpainted-1984-Run-Ajin

Was the prototype always an express box car, or was it a conversion out of an ordinary freight car? If the latter - would it be possible to backdate it with reasonable effort? What exactly makes this an express box car? The two most obvious details I could tell are the steam line and the type of trucks - both easy to remove/ replace. Would it then be just a usual freight car (which class?)?

Many thanks and best regards

Johannes