Re: to UP fans: -B-50-25 Express Box - converting "back" to normal box car?

Tim O'Connor

Johannes

In your era the cars were used exclusively in passenger train services as far as I know.

Some cars were repainted in the 1960's with freight service paint (attached). Later the
survivors all ended up in company service with 9xxxxx series numbers (as shown in the
photo) in both the yellow & gray, and freight colors.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/28/2019 11:26 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
Hello friends,

I still need more 40' box cars, and I consider purchasing this one:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/098956/HO-Brass-Model-OMI-1338-UP-Union-Pacific-B-50-25-Express-Boxcar-24152-Unpainted-1984-Run-Ajin

Was the prototype always an express box car, or was it a conversion out of an ordinary freight car? If the latter - would it be possible to backdate it with reasonable effort? What exactly makes this an express box car? The two most obvious details I could tell are the steam line and the type of trucks - both easy to remove/ replace. Would it then be just a usual freight car (which class?)?

Many thanks and best regards

Johannes
--
*Tim O'Connor*