Re: D&H Seley hoppers

Donald B. Valentine

Re: D&H Seley hoppers
From: Ray Breyer
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 08:42:37 PST

Hi Don,

You forgot three groups of rebuilt D&H Seleys covering the 6851-14000 number block. There were 2213 of these cars on the 1/1951 ORER, and they were all gone by 1/1955.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

    You're right, Ray, and in the January 1938 ORER that group was even larger as it was #6851 - 11450 with
4042 cars claimed. I model 1948 and thus refer to my April 1948 ORER most frequently and in that isse this lot
is hidden below all the newer all steel hoppers and covered hoppers the D&H had purchased. But what a hell
of a way to run a railroad unless the differen numbering groups were to deliniate the number of hoppers the cars
in a specific group had ot which cars had been rebuilt.

    Thanks for all your help, Ray, especially the photos sent privately, and thanks to everyone else as well.

Cordially, Don Valentine