Re: Mid 1950's Oscar Mayer Refrigerated Cars

Douglas Harding

No, there are similarities, but also differences. Specifically the URTX cars is a 37’ meat reefer, the PFE is a 40’ car. Also notice the horizontal rivet seam on the URTX car, seen on other URTX cars. The plug door is shorter. The side sill has tabs in different locations.

Here is Tony Thompson’s blog on comparing an Accurail steel sided plug door reefer to the PRE R-40-26 http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/06/kitbashing-pfe-r-40-26.html

If you wanted a standin- the Accurail model could be used. But it is a 40’ car. I don’t know of any 37’ steel meat reefer models. The Walther’s 40’ cars, are produce reefers, not meat reefers, despite Walthers lettering them for meat packers.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org