Re: Mid 1950's Oscar Mayer Refrigerated Cars

Bryian Sones

Doug,
Thank you for the photos, modeling options and suggested reading material. Also, thank you to everyone else for your input too. I think I have enough info to represent some wood reefers. The challenge will be steel reefers, My first thought was to sacrifice some of my sunshine r-40-26 kits but after your comments about the differences with the URTX steel side car and it being a 37' car I will have to reconsider that option. I really dislike molded grab irons and ladders. No offense to those that do. Models with them certainly do serve a purpose in the hobby. I'm not sure the Accurail kit bash is worth the time for me but it is something to consider as a stand-in.

Kind regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 6:29 AM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

No, there are similarities, but also differences. Specifically the URTX cars is a 37’ meat reefer, the PFE is a 40’ car. Also notice the horizontal rivet seam on the URTX car, seen on other URTX cars. The plug door is shorter. The side sill has tabs in different locations.

Here is Tony Thompson’s blog on comparing an Accurail steel sided plug door reefer to the PRE R-40-26 http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/06/kitbashing-pfe-r-40-26.html

If you wanted a standin- the Accurail model could be used. But it is a 40’ car. I don’t know of any 37’ steel meat reefer models. The Walther’s 40’ cars, are produce reefers, not meat reefers, despite Walthers lettering them for meat packers.

Doug  Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org