Re: appears to be a box car with the side sheathing removed

Jim Gates

This is an AT&SF Ga-Z car. There were 400 built as tie cars by Haskell & Barber in 1915. Numbered 110000-110399. Originally the top of the sides were somewhat arched, but at some point in time they were modified to a straight piece. Later used in pulpwood service. See Hendrickson's Open Top Cars book. The car in the photograph has the straight top but appears to be loaded with ties, following the system standard diagram for tie loading.

Jim Gates

On Fri, 3/1/19, Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

Claus-I’d say it is a flat car with a purpose-built frame.  Looks like the side members go into stake pockets.  A stripped boxcar frame would have some diagonal members as the underframe would not be the only structural component on a box car and there would be no reason to remove it for this ervice.  The end sill is another tipoff.
Charlie Vlk

Subject: [RealSTMFC] appears to be a box car with the side sheathing removed
Hi List Members, While browsing the Barriger collection, I can upon this interesting conveyance - it appears to be a box car with the side sheathing removed so it can conveniently carry railroad ties - do you all agree? https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12230813433/in/dateposted/ Claus
Schlund _._,_._,_