Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

James Brewer

According to my Evergreen Scale Models Styrene Handbook, their .060 converts to 5 1/4 HO inches.

Jim Brewer

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
A couple comments that date back to my pattern making days.

Don't scribe the side sheets. Build them of individual . 010 x .060 strip which can then be scraped to slightly different thicknesses, sanded to add grain, and the edges LIGHTLY chamfered to yield a hint of a groove. Best of all you can see what they will look like before they are cemented permanently to the subside.

The thinnest styrene strip, .010, is almost three times too thick for the flange of the Z bar that lays against the planks. If you use .015 thick strip and remove the .010 thick boards from the area, creating a .010 deep slot for the .015 thick flange. The resulting .005 step looks much more to scale.

As I recall sheathing bolts were 3/8", with nuts slightly under 1" square,  about .010 in HO. There are no NBW's made this small, anyway you don't want the washer. A scale size nut would fall through the common #80 hole. The easiest way to model these small square nuts is to make a square die for a rivet embossing tool and emboss them.

Dennis Storzek