Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Dennis Storzek

I've always been a proponent of some wire brush or scratch brush work on some of the boards, although others do not agree. I have toned it down over the years, however. I have heard the argument that the sheathing was never that weather beaten in service, and I agree. However, it was very common for flat sawn boards to lose paint in a characteristic pattern caused by the band's of hard grain, an effect we cannot duplicate. I feel the overly deep graining yields a shadow effect that comes close. One nice thing about doing the side with separate strip is the effect is visible while the strip are still loose, so they can be rearranged or even some replaced before they are finally cemented in.

Dennis Storzek