Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Fred Jansz

I agree with that, but let's not forget most of us model/collect 1940-1960.
We judge pictures of ss cars taken in the 1950's or even (much) later when they were in company service.
Until the end of the 1940's -and maybe later- car's were regularly cleaned and repainted.
If a ss car was built in the 1930's, it was still be well maintained in the 1940's and might even be so in the 1950's.
So what you see first is deteriorating paint in the 1950's.
I can imagine that after that the wood get's weathered and long after that it breaks up.
See this pic of the WP car I'm building, taken somewhere in the 1990's in Sacramento (car built 1916!).
regards
Fred Jansz

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 08:50 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
As to weather beaten grain, I agree it can be over done. But we can't really model the dterioration of paint on random boards; graining gives the same visual effect.