Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Fred,

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the last 125 (as 2601-26125) of these cars in revenue service were in restricted bulk plaster duty from Gerlach, Nevada, to where I don't know. There were only 24 left by 1958. I have never seen a photo of one of these running in California during their later years, except when they were returned to Sacramento or Oakland for scrapping as your photo shows. Of course, a handful were in MW service, though usually with extra windows and such.

I have a set of those resin castings and someday I will build them up, though I don't know how I would use the car on my SN branch.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/6/19 2:03 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
I agree with that, but let's not forget most of us model/collect 1940-1960.
We judge pictures of ss cars taken in the 1950's or even (much) later when they were in company service.
Until the end of the 1940's -and maybe later- car's were regularly cleaned and repainted.
If a ss car was built in the 1930's, it was still be well maintained in the 1940's and might even be so in the 1950's.
So what you see first is deteriorating paint in the 1950's.
I can imagine that after that the wood get's weathered and long after that it breaks up.
See this pic of the WP car I'm building, taken somewhere in the 1990's in Sacramento (car built 1916!).
regards
Fred Jansz

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 08:50 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
As to weather beaten grain, I agree it can be over done. But we can't really model the dterioration of paint on random boards; graining gives the same visual effect.