MILW Series 18000-21187 Series Rib Sides

Nelson Moyer

I started building Sunshine 41.1 and 41.3 last night, and I ran into a problem with the side ladders. Kit instructions tell me to add a rung to the seven rung ladders supplied, but the stiles area too short to extend from the bottom mounting location to the top mounting location (11 scale feet) on the sides, so adding a rung isn’t going to work. I checked YMW ladder stiles, and the longest one that might have worked is YMW-306, which has 10 scale foot stiles. Other than scratchbuilding ladders, what are other’s using for this car? Does the Detail Associates eight rung ladder  (229-6241 work? Prototype photos of these cars show the bottom and top rung are approximately eight inches from the end of the stile, so stiles with a rung at the very bottom or top of the stiles aren’t prototypically correct. I checked Intermountain parts, and they don’t list the eight rung ladder for their rib side car as a separate part.

Next issue, the kit instructions tell me to paint the car Milwaukee freight car red on all surfaces including truck side frames, however I have a photo dated 1940 of MILW 19174 clearly showing an unpainted roof and wood running board. Did they or did they not paint roofs on this car series?

Nelson Moyer