From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:24 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] NKP Consist

Hello Bill & Group!

I also wondered about "Skins" having done talks on "hides" and the cars that carried them.  Both the cars in Brian's NKP list are meat reefers.  I think the assumption of something maybe edible and needing refrigeration is possibly correct.  Note that the loads are 25-30% of capacity so these cars are not heavily loaded.  Sausage is squeezed into '"casings" and my dictionaries do not list "skins" as an alternative.  I have not seen skins as an alternative to hides loaded into now-otherwise-useless boxcars.  (They get pretty smelly in this service.)  BUT--for all references I ever saw, I assumed the hides were COW hides.  What about lamb, sheep, goats, and perhaps hogs?  We usually call their hides, skins.  Perhaps these reefers carried such skins to be tanned at Stoneham, Mass.  Did Stoneham have a B&M served tannery or a sausage factory in 1957?

Reefers also carried hides.  I have seen waybill evidence of this use for reefers but it was uncommon.

Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna. where the spring's initial growth of skunk cabbage has appeared.

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 8:50:25 PM EDT, William Hirt <whirt@...> wrote:

I showed the consist doc to several people today. One repeated question
was the cars that showed SKINS as their contents. One suggestion was the
load was to be used as sausage casings and another suggestion was to
make pork rinds (assuming the load was pork skins). Both cars were going
to Stoneham MA on the B&M. Anyone have more insight into this?

Bill Hirt