Re: NKP Consist

Schuyler Larrabee

I shared the list with my model RR club list, and asked specifically about the two cars with skins. The North Shore club (www.nsmrc.org )is in Wakefield MA, next to Stoneham. The guys were able to establish that by 1950, the dozens of shoe manufacturers in the area were down to three in Stoneham. It's likely that those "skins" were on their way to becoming shoes.

ARL is the reporting mark on one of the cars - the FRZN one, IIRC. That is Armour Refrigerator Lines. Makes a lot of sense; once they got the meat out, they would have a lot of skins to ship out, and have the cars to send them in. The other car has reporting marks TRAX, which I have not had time to look up yet.

I wondered if Brian has any information that would explain the numbers in the left-most column. I don't think they are "Kind of Car," as it says at the top. Are those numerical designations of interchange points? I am quite curious where the substantial number of cars that are to go to the ERIE were going to be interchanged. Binghamton, would be my best guess, but there were options.

What can you tell us, Brian?

Schuyler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of William Hirt
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:50 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] NKP Consist

I showed the consist doc to several people today. One repeated question was the cars that showed SKINS as their contents. One suggestion was the load was to be used as sausage casings and another suggestion was to make pork rinds (assuming the load was pork skins). Both cars were going to Stoneham MA on the B&M. Anyone have more insight into this?

Bill Hirt

On 3/11/2019 11:55 AM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io wrote:
While going thru some NKP docs I found the attached NKP consist from
1957. A lot of meat as expected. Routings are shown too. All sort of
neat stuff, including dog food in reefers. May the discussion commence.

Brian J Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY 14227

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.