Missouri Pacific 50-foot SS DD: Modeling from MDC

Bill Welch

Recently there was a thread about the Model Die Casting 50-foot kit in its various forms including two wood doors that is exactly correct for the Missouri Pacific. Attached are two scans of Howard Ameling photos (printed by Joe Collias) that help document how accurate the MDC kit is for the MP. I would not ordinarily post photos from a commercial vender but Mr. Ameling is deceased and his collection is not in wide circulation but does have a home with the Nickel Plate Historical Society according to their website. Can any Nickel Plate HS members please tell us if a list of his photos is available?

Going from memory I think the only thing I did with my model other than replacing the molded on Grabs and Ladders, adding better underbody brake detail, and new handbrake was styrene strip under the doors.

Bill Welch