Electric cranes like these were not uncommon on larger electric railroads. Over the years, the Pacific Electric owned at least seven electric cranes, plus one steamer. Most of their cranes had a wooden box added around the end of the boom as an insulator.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/13/19 9:07 PM, mofwcaboose via Groups.Io wrote:
This crane was built by Browning Engineering Company in 1911 as Illinois Traction 830.  Capacity was 43,500 pounds- less than 22 tons. It later became Illinois Terminal 01, as is obvious from the photographs.

The Tichy crane is a 120-tonner and much too large in all dimensions. so that it would be nearly useless as a starting point for a model.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Forbes <dforbes@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 13, 2019 4:31 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] modeling a crane question

The Illinois Traction had an electric wrecking crane that was used both for wreck jobs as well as digging coal out of the two underwater coal storage pits they had built.  I'm looking for recommendations as to how to model such a thing.  I have looked at commercially available kits.  It seems like the Tichy crane frame might work but that a new cab and boom will need to be scratch built or 3D printed or something.  Thoughts?  Still not sure how one would manage a metal crane boom with an overhead powered wire directly above, seems like an electrifying challenge...

This is from the Illinois Terminal Facebook page.

From 1916.