Re: modeling a crane question

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends

I did a bit of digging through Ira Swett's CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC, V.3, and came up with some data that might be of interest to the whole question of ITR 1, and other small cranes.

PE's largest electric crane at 60 tons, their 003, built in 1912 by Industrial Works of Bay City, Michigan. The frame of this crane was 24' 5" over the end plates. Bolster centers were 12' 5" for what appear to be arch bar trucks with a 5' 4" wheelbase. Height to the roof was 14' 7". The crane was originally built with a 40' straight boom, but this required crews to take down the wires where the crane was working. In 1920 a shorter gooseneck boom was substituted, which as I mentioned earlier had a wooden housing over the end as an insulator.  The crane was fed by a standard PE Pole, and had motors on the trucks.

For comparison, PE's other "large" crane was a 20-ton capacity Ohio Locomotive Co. steam-powered Model CD. It's length was 20' 1/2". Truck centers were 11' 7 1/8". Trucks were 5' 1" MCB Radial, whatever that means (I'm thinking an arch bar, but the diagram and photos aren't clear on this). Cab was 11' 1" long, and height at the roof was 13' 11", but there was also a stack which took the total height to 18' 4 1/2". The boom was a 40' latice type, and apparently was never changed to a gooseneck. Yes, it did have a similar insulator wooden box. I believe Lifelike once sold a crane around this size which might supply the frame, cab base and boom.

PE's other cranes were conversions of freight or passenger cars, having a boom mounted on the deck near the car's end, and are not anything like these two machines, or the ITR crane.

A number of general arrangement diagrams for WP cranes are online at https://www.wplives.com/diagrams/mow/1947/index.php . It isn't always clear what the cranes' capacities are, but there is a lot to be learned here that could help with a model.

Have fun!

Garth Groff