Re: Throwback Thursday: Ambroid PRR Class R7 Reefer

The Cannonball X23 was a pot metal Red Ball car converted to injection molding.  I built one many years ago.  The resin version was the most difficult kit  I ever did.  Usually I work alone, but this kit required the metal forming skill of Randy Anderson, the casting skill of Tom Madden, and the fine scale work of Byron Rose, which I assembled into sides and ends.  Byron also did a section of one of the roofs.  It is feasible these days to do an excellent 3d printed model.  I’m surprised no one has attempted it.  The only difficult part would be the fragility of the ladders.  From what I’ve seen of some recent tank cars, some manufacturers no longer consider this a problem.– Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Richard Townsend via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:16 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Ambroid PRR Class R7 Reefer

Thanks, Ben, I had forgotten about that model. Unfortunately, as I my model railroad is set in Colorado, and as I doubt any PRR stock cars made it to Colorado, I have no use for that car, with or without sound. In a way you help me make my point. I'll amend my closing statement from earlier: If we can have Caswell gons and K7 stock cars, why not R7s?

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR