Re: Throwback Thursday: Ambroid PRR Class R7 Reefer

Richard Townsend

Thanks for those comments. Just a few minutes ago I happened to be reading an RMJ article by Richard Hendrickson on the IM ATSF stock cars. I had been thinking that I could justify a PRR K7 stock car with a shipment of breeding stock, and he mentions just that (and a PRR stock car in SoCal and western ones on Long Island). So now maybe I will get one. 

But I still want plastic R7s.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 6:25 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Ambroid PRR Class R7 Reefer

Keep in mind that in off seasons, stock cars were used to ship any product that would not require weather protection.  We discussed this on this forum not too long ago and some known loads included lumber, tires, bricks, straw, and many other items.  You should think of them more like a ventilated boxcar than just a stock car.  They could be found anywhere.   Much more versatile than people give them credit for.

Brent

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of James SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:11:55 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

I have a record of a PRR K7A in San Bernardino in 1946. Of course during war time all sorts of unusual things did happen. Also a 1952 record of a Santa Fe stock car being cleaned in Toronto, Canada.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:36 PM

Richard I had the same thoughts about the Broadway Limited K7A stockcar, until I found a document showing one was loaded in S St Paul MN destined for a  farmer on the M&StL in Iowa, in my time frame. Despite what many think, stockcars did get off road. A PRR stockcar in Colorado? May not be common, but I suspect it did happen.

Doug  Harding

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:16 PM

Thanks, Ben, I had forgotten about that model. Unfortunately, as I my model railroad is set in Colorado, and as I doubt any PRR stock cars made it to Colorado, I have no use for that car, with or without sound. In a way you help me make my point. I'll amend my closing statement from earlier: If we can have Caswell gons and K7 stock cars, why not R7s?
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am
Richard Townsend wrote:
"I am amazed that there isn't a high-quality injection molded model of this car and its relatives (i.e. the X23). I am aware of the terrific Westerfield resin kits and the Cannonball plastic kits, but neither is what I am talking about. One lacks quality and the other is not plastic.If we can have Caswell gons, why not R7s?"

There is one high quality HO scale X23 family model on the market - the Broadway Limited Class K7A stock car, which were rebuilt from Class X24 automobile boxcars.  The sound module is goofy and the model needs some work to correct the trucks, but that problem is definitely fixable and documented by Bruce Smith in an early issue of The Keystone Modeler

Ben Hom

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.