FW: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Help With Wabash Tank Car ID

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Gary and all;

I did some more looking, and am pretty convinced: the letters and numbers cast into the bolster looks like GATC predecessor German-American Car Company (hence, GATC, not "General American", as is commonly thought, even though that is the modern version); name changed during WW2 because of "German" as a then dirty word. I also think more certainly, 12-12 is the cast date. So, see ROX 813 on page 3 of attached. Kinda similar, no? Look at the inset double step and associated grab on the tank.

I do not know for sure that this is the original tank, but it might be. The reason I think not is those 5 bands, and how they interact with the frame. Not very "as-built" in my opinion. The odd planks in between tank and cradle are also odd. I cannot tell if the radius is the same, but that much space is odd. Maybe too much wood rotted out....

The vents may have been on top of the missing cap (again, see ROX), or on a side facing away from us; hard to tell.

Pre-WW1, this would have been an ARA car, probably ARA III tank.

Freight cars are such fun!

Elden

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:43 PM
To: Gatwood, Elden J CIV CESAW CESAD (US) <Elden.J.Gatwood@usace.army.mil>
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Help With Wabash Tank Car ID

Elden,

I have some detail pictures of this car; but was afraid they were too big to post on the list. I have attached a couple to this message.

This car is currently at the Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello, Illinois.

gary

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎March‎ ‎14‎, ‎2019‎ ‎12‎:‎57‎:‎18‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil> wrote:

Gary;

Wow, that's a rare one: a 5-course radial construction tank with 5 bands, and wood cradle, inset stirrup steps, and a "different" looking underframe; probably pre-1915 construction. Some early early GATC cars looked similar to this, but this could also be a predecessor manufacturer. A better look at the bolsters could tell us more, but I cannot seem them. The smallish dome is also a more common feature of these early tank cars. We cannot see the dome vents, which is also an indicator of time period. The dome platform does not look original to the car; it may be a Wabash add.

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> ] On Behalf Of Gary Roe
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:43 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Help With Wabash Tank Car ID

The Wabash purchased 10 tank cars for company service from the American Cotton Oil Company in 1924. They were numbered 3160-3169, and had a capacity of 40 tons - 7700 gallons. Unfortunately, company freight car equipment registers do not state the builder of these cars. I would appreciate any help in determining who built them.

A photo of one is located at this address: BlockedBlockedBlockedhttp://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4052881

Thank you in advance!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.