From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 11:29 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Help With Wabash Tank Car ID

Elden Gatwood wrote:

I did some more looking, and am pretty convinced: the letters and numbers cast into the bolster looks like GATC predecessor German-American Car Company (hence, GATC, not "General American", as is commonly thought, even though that is the modern version); name changed during WW2 because of "German" as a then dirty word.
Actually that would be World War 1, not 2. Elden probably mistyped, but I wouldn't want wrong info to slide out there.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 Blockedwww.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com Publishers of books on railroad history