If the car was built pre-WWI, then by definition it was built to an MCB (not ARA) standard, and it almost certainly was Spec II (not III).

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Monday, March 18, 2019, 12:32:46 PM EDT, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

You are correct, Tony!  Thanks for catching that!

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 11:29 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Help With Wabash Tank Car ID

Elden Gatwood  wrote:

> I did some more looking, and am pretty convinced: the letters and numbers cast into the bolster looks like GATC predecessor German-American Car Company (hence, GATC, not "General American", as is commonly thought, even though that is the modern version); name changed during WW2 because of "German" as a then dirty word.

  Actually that would be World War 1, not 2. Elden probably mistyped, but I wouldn't want wrong info to slide out there.

Tony Thompson            Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705        Blockedwww.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@... Publishers of books on railroad history