Re: UTLX X design dimensions

Steve and Barb Hile

Although the early class X cars were about 6000 gallons capacity, most built later were 6500 gallon capacity and had 3 radial courses on the upper tank. Those converted to narrow gauge service were most likely these slightly larger and later tanks. Some details are in the book, but I did not attempt to define the narrow gauge usages, as there were several renumberings and a few cars that were designated as convertible (Class V cars) that could ride on either narrow or standard gauge trucks when required. There is a pretty complete roster from 1952 in the files section of this list. Those swing cars, I believe, are in the 55xxx range while the X cars are in the 88xxx series.  See https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/UTLX%201-1952%20TANK%20CAR%20LIST.pdf.

In HO the old MDC tank with Shapeways underframe and running boards models the 6000 gallon cars fairly well.

Steve Hile