From: vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@gmx.net>
Sent: Mar 18, 2019 4:49 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Help With Wabash Tank Car ID

Hello Tony,

being a German, I would be interested what exactly was german in that company. "Just" a German immigrant as a (co-)founder?

Many thanks

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 18. März 2019 um 16:28 Uhr
Von: "Tony Thompson" <tony@signaturepress.com>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Elden Gatwood wrote:

I did some more looking, and am pretty convinced: the letters and numbers cast into the bolster looks like GATC predecessor German-American Car Company (hence, GATC, not "General American", as is commonly thought, even though that is the modern version); name changed during WW2 because of "German" as a then dirty word.
Actually that would be World War 1, not 2. Elden probably mistyped, but I wouldn't want wrong info to slide out there.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history