Re: Reservations Needed: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bruce and List Members,

Bruce wrote: “I don't believe that the arch bars lasted beyond 1930”

Images showing PRR X29 cars with archbar trucks are quite rare. But I do have one image that post-dates 1930 showing a car equipped with archbar trucks. Here is all I have on the topic:

I have a builders photo of brand new PRR 569430 equipped as such dated 7-24, painted in center bar no Keystone lettering.

I also have an in-service photo of PRR 570994 with archbar trucks and center bar no Keystone lettering - no date indicated.

I have an in-service photo of an unidentified X29 with arch bar trucks an center bar no Keystone lettering, date is given as 1926.

I also have an in-service photo of PRR 570862 dated Sep 1932 with archbar trucks and circle Keystone lettering. The build date appears to read 10-24.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:23 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Reservations Needed: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)

Ralph,

The old undec kits came with both brake sprues, so hopefully that would continue.

To clarify, the '28 style body, as used as a descriptor refers to the rivet and side sheet overlap pattern. The 1932-34 cars have a 1928 "body" with dreadnought ends.

All production except early was built with 2D-F8 trucks. The early cars may have switched to 2D-F8 in the later production of these cars, or they may have been converted later, but it would appear not much later. I don't believe that the arch bars lasted beyond 1930.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Hi Bruce, et al.,

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m interested in the undec kits, which I hope would come with KD brakes or maybe parts for both KD and AB brakes.  The Intermountain website lists five undec kits with the notation “TBD” in the product status column.  The first two of those are described as “1928” bodies, RC-7000 with steel plate ends, and RC-7001 with Dreadnaught ends.  RC-7002 is described as having a “1924” body with steel plate ends; RC-7003 is described as having an AAR body with steel plate ends; and RC-7004 is described as having a “1924” body with patches and steel plate ends.  All five descriptions are silent with regard to brakes.

According to the article in the March 2004 TKM, all except “those built in 1932 and 1934 had two-piece flat ends.”  The Dreadnaught ends were used only on the “final two production runs.” 

The website doesn’t say anything about trucks either.  The TKM article states the the 1924 cars were built with 2D-F1 arch bar trucks, the majority of which were later replace with 2D-F8 trucks.  I infer from the article that the 1928 and subsequent years’ cars were built with 2D-F8 trucks, although some X29 boxcars, both freight and express service cars, were “seen” with 2D-F12 coil-elliptic trucks, but doesn’t say when.  Also, at least PRR 100688, “one of the last cars built,” was equipped at some point with GSC BX express trucks, but again the article doesn’t say when.

Question: Anyone know when the 1924 cars’ 2D-F1 trucks were replaced with 2D-F8 trucks?

The TKM article contains a wealth of other information about the details of these cars, as does another article in the April 2004 TKM dealing with X29 boxcars in express service.

Anyway, here’s hoping the various painted and lettered cars get enough reservations to move them on to production, and that the undec kits are produced as well.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:26 PM

Folks,

Please be aware, that at least based on the artwork displayed by Intermountain, the brakes on these prospective car releases are incorrect.

The artwork (and description) indicates that these cars use the RC patch panel tooling, which, to the best of my knowledge, was only done for the mid-production (1928) body X29 by RC. Although not clear, the artwork appears to show plate ends, which is expected. The artwork also show a transverse early AB reservoir. These were only applied to the 1932 or later production X29s which are distinguished by the application of Dreadnaught ends. Subsequent plate end X29 conversions to AB brakes utilized the more well known AB reservoir, hung longitudinally under the carbody. Thus the offering by IM is incorrectly detailed with respect to the type and location of the brake reservoir (and some minor differences with brake levers as well).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith           
Auburn, AL
"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 12:58:52 PM CDT, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Reservations Needed: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)
The Intermountain Railway Company (https://www.intermountain-railway.com/)
will produce two versions of Pennsylvania Railroad's iconic X29 boxcar, and up to nine variants for other railroads, if the company receives enough advance reservations. To date, reservation have been lagging.
Here are the two PRR versions, each with six road numbers:
To reserve your car, InterMountain says, "... please let your favorite hobby dealer know that you would like the item. Reservations are NO RISK to you, we do not require any deposit and you may cancel your reservation at any time.
X29 boxcars also can be reserved for the following railroads:
Baltimore & Ohio
Central RR of New Jersey
Chicago Great Western
Ferrocaril de Chihuahua al Pacifico
Lehigh & New England
Maine Central
Nickel Plate Road
Norfolk & Western
United States Army
I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to InterMountain.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.