Re: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale) Was reservations needed

Tim O'Connor

We discussed these years ago. Yes, they were 10-0 IH box cars built to the 1923 ARA design.

Some of them ended up on the West India Fruit roster.

Tim O'

On 3/21/2019 7:58 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Don,

In 1958 the HPT&D owned four boxcars, conveniently numbered 401-404. They had a 10' IH, and were 3548 cu ft. I don't know if these were the cars you referenced or not.

That said, circa 1944, MR published a "cyclopedia", from which I have a photocopy of an HPT&D 411 drawing, which had all the visual features of an X29 on steroids. The notes say the car was built in 1929. Sadly, this was an early wet photocopy I made in junior high school before clearer dry photocopiers became office necessities. The dimensional data is not legible, but appears to be 34XX or 35XX. The drawing, by the way, was scaled to 1/96.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/21/19 3:57 PM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello Bill Welch,

     Have an X-29 question that relates to the differences in height you have pointed out between
the real McCoy and the N&W version. Filing some photos taken in years past recently I came
across a couple taken in 1972 near Thomasville, NC. As you might expect from the location
these were High Point, Thomasville & Denton box cars that looked a lot like X-29's except that
they, too, appear to have been taller. Being "Yo'all" rolling stock can you tell me much about them?
Can't help but wonder if the HP & T & D is still around and, if so, if any of the cars survive as they
would make great museum pieces in a places like Salisbury, NC.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sterling, Massachusetts