Re: Reservations Needed: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim,

Typo or not, the two cars do not appear to have the same proportions to my eye. CHP 5547 seems to be shorter, but this could be camera distortion. I suspect it is an X29, while 5598 could be an X28 or other clone. I can't figure out how to blow these photos up, short of logging onto the site (which I am not interested in doing for security reasons; I've recently been burned). Comparing wales in the doors and the ladders rungs could solve some this question, but the thumbnails are too small.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/21/19 10:04 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

it's obviously a typo. the cars are obviously the same height (compare the doors)

the cars are not listed in the 1975 ORER. probably in company service at the date of the photos.

On 3/21/2019 7:40 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Matt,

If the capacity information given with the second photos is correct, 3879 cubic feet, CHP 5598 cannot be an X29. X29s had a capacity of 3034 cubic feet. That is even bigger than the X28's 3278 cubic feet.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/21/19 2:24 PM, Matt Herson wrote:

Jim,

Ferrocaril de Chihuahua al Pacifico are post 1960 cars and look to be ex PRR X29.  No number series but links for two cars:

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=63957

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=68122

Matt Herson

Sterling, Massachusetts