Re: What Are These?

mark_landgraf

These appear to be tensioning nuts for a diagonal bracing that would help transfer internal forces from shifting loads from the car end to the floor. The other end would penetrate the car floor near the body bolster.

Remember that the corrugated car ends were to help stiffen the car ends so they could better absorb internal shock from shifting loads.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 3:17 PM, Rich C via Groups.Io
<rhcdmc@...> wrote:
Tim, I never seen marker brackets that low on the ends before, although to me it makes better sense when climbing the grabs and attaching them. They generally are in the middle quadrant on the ends.

Rich Christie

On Friday, March 22, 2019, 1:36:31 PM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Brackets to hold marker lamps?

On 3/22/2019 2:33 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the purpose of this hardware (circled in red) on the end of the boxcar?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments: