Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Pennsy Well-Hole Flats Question

Bruce Smith

Bill,

We did the F28, F29, and F33 on PRRPro recently. Here's some brief information about the three kits you list, which overlap two of these projects...

F29 - 20 cars, 2 groups of 10, 1927 and 1929. Excellent models of both series available in HO from Railworks. F&C 8171 model covers the first group with 3F-F1 Kiesel trucks and 8170 covers the second group with 3F-F2 buckeye trucks.

F33 - as noted 16 cars, built in 2 lots, 1938 and 1942, with 3F-F2 and 3F-F3 Buckeye trucks (no real visible difference. I built the F&C kit. Here is a brief review. The body is copy cast from an early brass car that was billed as an F33, but which in reality is a very similar C&O car. If you care, you will need to sand the "bumps" off the upper decks as they were not present on the F33. I did that and duplicated the rivets with Archers. I removed the faux wooden decking in the well and replaced it with laser cut decks by AMB. Those are beautiful, but the removal was a nightmare.... I might pass if I thought about doing it again. The trucks... ah the trucks... all three of these cars are going to use F&C's resin trucks. I tried to find metal trucks for the F33 that worked, to no avail. Railworks did make these trucks but I couldn't find a set. I ended up breaking the resin ones, and then gluing them together and using them. I also discovered that the center screw mount would not work only after setting the trucks up to do that, but there is an offset mount and I HIGHLY recommend you use it. As always with F&C, there are some additional details to add to improve the looks of the car. I do like how the model came out, but it was more work than the simple kit implied and, of course, it weighs...next to nothing.

F34 - 3 cars built, 2 in 1938 and the 3rd in 1943.

So, for shear numbers, the F29 is the winner, but either he F29 or F33 give you a workable model that can handle some unique loads.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn AL