Re: [Ry-ops-industrialSIG] [Proto-Layouts] Op Sessions

Douglas Harding

If you really want to get the old goats: provide a few walkers with the built in seats. Or lower the layout and give everyone an office chair. You might find an architects stool on casters that could work. Take the strain off the feet and back during a lull in the action.

Cal’s mention of the interlocking squares is good. I’m trying them, but find my office chair does not roll on the tiles, so when doing work under the layout they are a hindrance. I have thought of cutting a Japanese type sandal out of the foam tiles, a piece of Velcro for a strap and you would be set to go. Provide one set for each operator, much cheaper that covering the entire layout room floor, esp for a large layout.

I have used the foam backed carpet, get the end roll cast off strips at a big box store. But water issues in two houses have steered me away from the padded carpet. When the floor gets wet the carpet is a real pain.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: Ry-ops-industrialSIG@groups.io [mailto:Ry-ops-industrialSIG@groups.io] On Behalf Of Cal Sexsmith
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:23 AM
To: Proto-Layouts@groups.io; Proto-Layouts@groups.io; REALSTMFC@groups.io; Demetre Argiro; D. Scott Chatfield; Ed Kelly; Jeff Scarbrough; WILLIAM & LINDA GOSSETT; Ivan Jenkins; Michael Mang; gary senesac; Rick Hemingway; Bruce F. Smith; John Rieken; Thomas Klimoski; Mike Turner; Ibleedcrimson@...; aikenair@...; Carl Schmidt; Skipper Crews; Terry Harrison; Saunders Bridges; ry-ops-industrialsig@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Ry-ops-industrialSIG] [Proto-Layouts] Op Sessions

Hello Jared:

I have not operated on the Alma Branch, although like Bill J it is on my bucket list. It's just that you are a long way away. 

I would think that breaking for lunch after arrival at Alma would be both appropriate and prototypical. If you still want to have lunch first a 15 to 20 minute break at that point might be a good idea. Also, what's on your floor? Those interlocking foam tiles certainly ease the foot and back strain when walking on concrete even if it is carpeted. A few strategically placed stools might also help for brief breaks while the train runs between towns. Just don't make them too comfortable :-)

Cal Sexsmith

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the SaskTel network.

Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 6:55 PM

To: Proto-Layouts@groups.io; REALSTMFC@groups.io; Demetre Argiro; D. Scott Chatfield; Ed Kelly; Jeff Scarbrough; WILLIAM & LINDA GOSSETT; Ivan Jenkins; Michael Mang; gary senesac; Rick Hemingway; Bruce F. Smith; John Rieken; Thomas Klimoski; Mike Turner; Ibleedcrimson@...; aikenair@...; Carl Schmidt; Skipper Crews; Terry Harrison; Saunders Bridges; ry-ops-industrialsig@groups.io

Reply To: Proto-Layouts@groups.io

Subject: [Proto-Layouts] Op Sessions

I have monthly op sessions on my Santa Fe Alma branch layout. My layout is 22 1/2 x 30' with seven stations--Burlingame, Harveyville, Bradford, Eskridge, Hessdale, Allendorph, and Alma. I invite three guys to my home for lunch at noon. After lunch we go to the basment where my three visitors run trains 95/96 the daily except Sunday mixed train filling the functions of engineer, conductor and brakeman.  I am the question answerer, troubleshooter, etc.  I am 74.  The other operators range in age from their 30's to a few years older than I am.  The after lunch op sessions run from about 2 1/2 hours to 4 hours.  As the operating group gets more geezerly our backs, legs and feet start failing us and we start to hurt.  Ways have been discussed on how reduce our physical suffering and maintain our enjoyment.  Several things have bee suggested:

1.  The prototype train was an out and back operation  Train 95 went from Burlingame to Alma in the morning.  When their work was done at Alma they ate lunch.  It has been suggested that we follow the prototype's lead, i.e.  have the guys arrive about 10:30, run train 95, and then go upstairs for lunch.  After lunch we can go back to our jobs running train 96.  One of our locals breaks his op session at lunch.  After lunch we return to operating until the ops are finished  Unfortunately some of the crew leaves and with just three crew that doesn't work.

2.  Running train 95  could be one op session  on one day.  Train 96 could run another day in another op session.  Seems to me that would ruin continutiy.

Anyway, I would like to hear your suggestions.

Jared Harper

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.