Re: Throwback Thursday: Ambroid Western Union Material Car

Tony Thompson

Ben Hom wrote:

Ambroid Western Union Material Car ad, October 1959 issue of Model Railroader.

     I picked up one of these models at a swap meet, repaired a few "ouches," and have used it in my layout op sessions. It led me to discover that Southern Pacific, which I model, had its own telephone/telegraph lines in most areas, but also made use of Western Union lines in some other areas, and that WU did maintain its own lines. Even when the WU lines were not being used by SP, they often were built parallel to the tracks, so WU maintenance equipment is not out of place. I would never have learned any of that if I had not chosen to buy this model.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history