Re: Throwback Thursday: Ambroid Western Union Material Car

Frank Pearsall

Good evening:

I have a number of 1/4” drawings in my collection for:

Western Union Telegraph Co., Outfit Car No. 301 (32’)
Western Union Telegraph Co., Outfit Car No. 302 (32’)
Western Union Telegraph Co., Outfit Car No. 303 (32’)

Interesting they were so much shorter than the one being discussed.

Frank A. Pearsall
Brevard, N.C.

On Mar 28, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Don Valentine wrote:
"...the prototype for that Western Union car hung around on the B&M for some years in the Connecticut River Valley. Harry Frye and I first ran across it one
Saturday in the early 1970's  at the west end of the former Greenfield, Mass. station site on a siding of the westbound Fitchburg Div. main. By the early 1980's it had been moved to the East Deerfield Yard where it sat for some additional years. From there it disappeared but whether it was simply moved again to some unknown location or scrapped I cannot state. Sorting through a large box of older negatives and photos here in recent weeks I ran across a photo of it taken in Greenfield these many years ago. I have always felt the Ambroid model was a fairly good rendition of this unusual piece of equipment. Perhaps I should find the photo again, scan it an post it here."

WUTX 7559 at East Deerfield MA, November 17, 1973, Steve Brayton photo, posted on George Elwood's website:

Ben Hom
_._,_._,_