off list email replies

Eric Hansmann

I use MS Outlook on my computer. When I want to reply to an author post offline, I first copy their email address from the original message. I hit Reply, delete the group email address, and paste in the author’s address. I might need to edit the address for an AOL or Yahoo account, as Groups.io adds extra characters for some reason. I’ll also add OFF LIST at the beginning of the Subject line and before the RE: and original subject.

The Reply to Sender function sets up a reply to the discussion list. Hitting Reply first and then finding the author’s address can be problematic as that original email address is sometimes removed on the reply. That’s why I find the author’s address and copy it first before hitting reply.

Each program is different and the on-line Groups.io experience may also be different. A user must be aware of the functions when initiating a private reply. A check of the To email address is also recommended.

These are just some of the steps I use to communicate off list in order to share details on steam era freight cars.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN