Re: Throwback Tuesday: Ulrich GS Gon Ad, Model Railroader, October 1959

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Ben and friends

Great nostalgia. Besides the Ulrich gondolas, the dump truck is one of theirs, and these are like Gold when you can find them. The little people are Weston Mini Figures, which were continued by Campbell until just a few years ago. They were a little cartoonish when compared modern plastic offerings, but had good detail, nice painting, and great character.

Despite having cast on grabs, these gondolas still look good, and AFAIK, are the only models of this very common design. I have three. Despite being cast in what I think is zamak, they don't show any deterioration. Some other 1950s zamak models I have owned crumbled (an Ulrich composite mill gondola and a Roundhouse ore hopper). I am pretty sure two of mine are original Ulrich (I bought one new in the box in the 1970s), but the third is a more recent Walthers with plastic brake parts.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/2/19 12:11 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Ulrich GS Gon ad, October 1959 issue of Model Railroader.

Ben Hom