Re: Photo Study: Lackawanna Gondola 67198

Donald B. Valentine

Hello Bob,

    I've never been a particular fan of the Lackawanna, being more Erie oriented, but cannot thank you enough for providing the photos of
Lackawanna gondola #67198 that you posted seven photos of from the Steamtown collection. This car is so neat it just begs to be modeled.
The fact that 16 of the class were still around in April 1950, as Schuyler has noted, is just the frosting on the cake! Wood sides and a wood
floor and look at the way the side planks are butted together at their ends with the shorter one that is 2nd from the bottom and extending inward
from the end of the car having one bolt at its top into the flange on one side of the rib and the next plank having one bolt through the bottom
into the flange on the other side of the rib to maintain the same pattern where there was no butt joint at the rib and each plank had two bolts.
And look at the Bettendorf T-section trucks that were so popular for many years and the K brake system with the rod from the brake ratchet at
the end of the car being suspended by brackets to reach the brake valve. The mounting of the ratchet gear itself, to clear the drop ends, is quite
interesting. The deep well underframe is noted and the brake kine coming to the outside of the car would seem proof that there were also drop
doors. And stake pockets on the car sides as well!  Again, what a super interesting car and if the subject car were not enough look at the
surroundings! How about the Mo. Pac.50 ft. auto car which we have discussed modifying the Roundhouse/Athearn single sheathed Western
Pacific car without the end door, but of similar design, to produce. Its "B" end shows in the 4th photo and the "A" end in the 7th even if little
else can be seen. Better yet, look at the Grand Trunk early double sheathed end door auto a part of which shows in the 2nd photo and a bit
more in the 3rd. What a shame this car was not documented as well as the subject. Were the Lackawanna gon and other cars not enough
look at the entire 7th photos! How about that Mack Bull Dog truck that looks to still  have solid tires, not less! And how about that neat, early
style overhead crane and the boiler it is unloading from the flat car beyond the Lackawanna gon!

    I can't thank you enough, Bob, for giving us such a great photo presentation. It is easily the best I've seen on the STMFC.

Cordially, Don Valentine