Re: White material protruding from car doors.

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Dennis,

    As we both know, you aren't that much younger than me so I'm surprised it was your grandmother that kept the printed cotton
flour bags rather than your mother. Perhaps your grandmother had access to them and your mother did not. In any case in the
postwar years into the early 1950's a lot of types of grain were bagged in calico cotton bags. I know that chick feed, pig feed and
calf feed was but not the coarser dairy and horse feeds. It was more that were made from these bags and it was always interesting
to see a farm wife looking for a particular pattern on a bag of feed because she didn't have enough cloth of that particular pattern for
something she wished to make. My own sister had nice dresses made from this material and so did several of my elementary school
classmates that came from farm families. I wish we had those days back now for dairymen. We are down to only 750 farms left in
Vermont when we used to have more than that in one county. To keep Mike happy I should mention that the vast majority of feed
stocks in those days was delivered to the destination area from the grain mills by rail. The Processed In Transit rates applied to
both the raw grains moving by rail to the feed mills, of which we had many in Vermont in those years, and shipment of the finished
grain to the local dealer as well. In the early 1960's I used to help a close friend deliver two 40 ft. boxcar loads of grain shipped from
the H. K Webster (Blue Seal Feeds) plant that is right tight to the Canadian Border in Richford, VT to the public delivery track in
Waterbury every other Monday and Tuesday afternoon, once he was done with his milk (in 40 qt. cans) route in the morning. The
H. K. Webster mill was switched by the CPR but much of the grain was taken only two miles to the interchange with the Central
Vermont's Missisquoi Valley Branch.

My best, Don Valentine