Re: Throwback Thursday: Athearn Metal Tank Car Kits

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

I have several of these Athearn/Globe cars I've scarfed up at train shows--an 8K twin dome, two 8K single domes, and a 12.5K with a single full-height dome  . . .

    Garth, if you measure an Athearn metal "shorty" tank car, you will find it is very close to 10,000 gallons. The measurement and calculation is simple, as I showed in a blog post some time back. If you're interested, here is a link:

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history