Re: Throwback Thursday: Athearn Metal Tank Car Kits

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have an Athearn 10K tank. I have 8Ks and a 12.5K. The Mantua is a 10K though.

    My apologies for misreading your original post. Globe did make an 8000-gallon tank, but Athearn did not, thus my comment on what Athearn called their "shorty" tank. Your 8000-gallon cars must be Globe models. I discussed the crossovers between Athearn metal tanks, and Globe tank cars, in a blog post awhile ago. You can read it here:

The two companies and their offerings should not IMO be mingled.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history