Re: Attaching parts to brass models.

Bruce Smith

Jared,

I don’t foresee any major problems. We all wash and grit blast CA applied details all the time. As Paul noted, make sure the surfaces are clean.  I would consider grit blasting the brass prior to using CA to apply details just to give the brass a bit more “tooth” to hold with the CA but metal to meat and plastic to metal are two of the best surfaces to get good CA bonds.

When you’re done with the details, just wash in dish soap (Dawn) and water with a soft toothbrush. Gentle scrubbing should be fine. Then, when dry, I would grit blast, wash again, and paint.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Apr 10, 2019, at 10:01 PM, Jared Harper <harperandbrown@...> wrote:

I have been detailing a Balboa Santa Fe gas electroc to resemble M.177.
So far I have been soldering everything but I have gotten to the point of wanting to attach nut-bolt-washer castings to the radiators.  I am thinking CA but when it comes time to paint the model I will want to clean it.  How do I clean it without detaching the n-b-w's.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA