Re: Attaching parts to brass models.

Tim O'Connor

I have used epoxy to attach parts to brass with excellent results - including a trip through the
150 degree oven to "bake" the Scalecoat paint. I would never trust CA for this application. For
tiny parts like NBW I would try either 'canopy' white glue, or diluted contact cement - assuming
you can make it invisible.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/11/2019 9:02 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Jared,

I don’t foresee any major problems. We all wash and grit blast CA applied details all the time. As Paul noted, make sure the surfaces are clean.  I would consider grit blasting the brass prior to using CA to apply details just to give the brass a bit more “tooth” to hold with the CA but metal to meat and plastic to metal are two of the best surfaces to get good CA bonds.

When you’re done with the details, just wash in dish soap (Dawn) and water with a soft toothbrush. Gentle scrubbing should be fine. Then, when dry, I would grit blast, wash again, and paint.
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*