Re: Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, February 1959

Tony Thompson

Good summary by Ben Hom, and helpful list re-posted by Tim O'Connor. Just one comment that may not be widely known:

UP Class S-40-12.
https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific/UP-Freight-Cars/i-VCQBnhr/A
The roof is the biggest issue – the diagonal panels are the mirror image of the prototype.  Otherwise, it’s actually not too bad.

      The UP diagram drawing for this class shows the roof the way Athearn modeled it (with panels reversed). Could the Athearn people have had access to this drawing and used it? Otherwise getting so familiar a product as the diagonal-panel roof wrong seems improbable.
        As Ben observed, the rest of the car isn't terrible, but replacing the roof is not fun. Ask me how I know.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history