Re: Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, February 1959

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Ben and Dave,

At least two ATSF way cars ended their days on the Central California Traction Co. as CCT 24-25. Originally repainted all-silver in the mid-1960s, later a black stripe along the windows was added. They ended up a brilliant red with huge heralds in the 1970s. The CCT was owned equally by the WP, SP and ATSF, and often drew their equipment from the parent roads.

Enclosed is one of my late father's (Glenn G. Groff) photos from around 1967.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/12/19 3:06 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Dave Lawler wrote:
"I believe the Athe[a]rn, ATSF offset cupola steel caboose is a reasonable stand in for a group of Grand Trunk Western cars."

They should be - GTW acquired 34 ex-ATSF waycars and kept them in service into the 1990s.  Here's a model done by George Dutka.

Ben Hom