Re: Throwback Thursday: Athearn Rolling Stock Ad, Model Railroader, February 1959

Tony Thompson

Steve Hile wrote:

Here is a snap shot of the metal car.  It would appear that they were only made for a brief time, as I see a 1954 ad in MR listing 40 and 50 foot flat cars as new.  Just a few years later, Athearn moved into plastic.

     Ah, mine is different. I have always thought mine to be a Varney, with a one-piece metal body that is folded to shape, with stake pockets pressed outward (that is, they are part of the body, not a separate strip). Photo below.

Tony Thompson