Re: Doors with inside detail

Tim O'Connor

Not true, at least not in all cases. Many doors had no interior lining.

This photo attached shows the back side of corrugated doors. I agree with Tony, the aluminum foil
should work fine - or you can use styrene strips glued to the back side of the door. Personally I have
not bothered on cars I have modeled with an open or partially open door. You can only appreciate
such details in close up photography. I'm leaning more towards Hendrickson's attitude that if you
can't see it (easily, during normal use), then what's the point?

Not that I don't appreciate the "museum" quality stuff... ;-)

Tim O'

On 4/13/2019 4:48 PM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve. The steel ribs, actually steel bar only appeared on the outside of superior doors. The inside would be flat steel plate.

See the photo from Gene Greene’s blog post.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/myp48.wordpress.com/2018/01/08/modeling-more-information-on-doors/amp/

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 13, 2019, at 4:24 PM, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

I am assembling an old IMWX 1937 AAR Boxcar.   I have an interior detail kit and am planning on modeling the car with one door open.   The wooden floor and walls from the kit will show thru.   But the door that comes with the kit has no detail on the inside.   I know this almost never makes a difference, but it would be cool if I could show the inside corrugations of the closed door.   (It is a Superior door).   I thought about using the outside detail as a mold and  pressing aluminum foil on it, which would probably work but would really be delicate.

Any ideas?

Steve Kay

Sterling, Massachusetts