Re: Scratchbuilding a car in styrene

Charlie Vlk

Randy Hees and all-

A question not directly related to Freight Cars other than being a load or possibly mislabeled car siding….

One of the cable TV home remodeling shows has an interior designer that has to use what she calls “shiplap” on every project episode…to the point it could be a drinking game of a shot for every time she mentions it.

I always thought “shiplap” was a profile that had overlapping boards like those on a traditional wooden runabout….somewhat akin to clapboard house siding.   The material she calls “shiplap” is to me a form of tongue and groove siding with a small reveal between boards (more than car siding).  

Modern usage of the term is confused as Wikipedia shows a building with “shiplap” that is a form of Novelty Siding….flat faced vertical board with a scalloped top that fits underneath the next board up.

Anyone have old millwork references that might show correct terminology?

Charlie Vlk 

Join to automatically receive all group messages.